Entrepreneurship In Pakistan
Micro and small entrepreneurs play an important role in the economy of a country; activating and stimulating all economic activities. The economic success of any country depends on the opportunity, encouragement and rewards provided to these entrepreneurs.
Like all other countries, Pakistan also has a very high potential amongst various sectors for growth. We conclude this on the basis of the monthly income and savings of micro entrepreneurs belonging to different sectors. The major sectors include the following:
- Auto parts shops
- Marble industry
- Shoe makers
- Ice factories
- Steel works
- Auto workshops
- Education and tuition centers
- Beauty Parlors
- Dairy farms
- Poultry farms
- Meat/beef selling shops
These sectors are mostly found in major metro cities of Pakistan including, Lahore, Multan, Rawalpindi, Sahiwal, Sargodha and Sialkot. Businesses falling under these sectors have distinct properties that are similar to each other in one-way or the other. They key highlights of these businesses are given below:
- Most of the businesses run on cash than on credit.
- Major issues faced by these sectors were load shedding and increasing electricity bills.
- Men mostly aged between 25 – 44 years are operating these businesses.
- These businesses belong mostly to SEC-C and SEC-D socio-economic-class.
- They have approx. monthly savings of Rs.10, 000 and are looking forward to expand their business ventures.
Considering entrepreneurs as the engine of economic growth, it would be worth introducing customized micro financing to give them an opportunity to expand their business. This will help them to play their vital role more efficiently in the growth of the country.